01 Dec Discover the most beautiful castles in Mallorca
When you think of the Balearic Islands, you probably wonder which are its most beautiful coves? And there are, but you should know that Mallorca is much more than sun and beach.
It is also history and its more than 6 castles remind us that its privileged location in the Mediterranean made it in medieval times one of the strategic places on the map of kings and sovereigns. In addition, on its coasts you will recognize a network of defense towers that, in their day, served to alert the population of the arrival of corsairs and pirates, and that today are wonderful viewpoints over the sea.
These are our Top 5 must-see castles on the island of Mallorca
- Castillo de Alaró_In a privileged area in the Sierra de Tramuntana, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is the Castillo de Alaró from which you can contemplate one of the most beautiful views of the island.
- Santueri Castle (Santanyí) The fortress Castell de Santueri is a relic of the Middle Ages on the southeast coast of Mallorca. It rises on the plateau of a 400 meter high mountain, within the Serra de Llevant.
- Bellver Castle (Palma) It is a fortification of Majorcan Gothic style, built on a hill surrounded by forests a few kilometers from Palma de Mallorca. It was built at the beginning of the 14th century by order of King James II of Mallorca.
- Castell del Rei (Pollença) Together with the castles of Alaro and Santueri, the Castell del Rei is one of the most beautiful rock castles in Mallorca. It is located on a hill at 492 m in the Ternelles Valley, in Pollença.
- Castle Museum of San Carlos (Palma) It is one of the few castles of Mallorca in its style. The fortress has a trapezoidal shape, with four large bastions that give it its peculiar shape. Since 1981 it has been the Military Museum of Mallorca and very close to it is the Lighthouse of Porto Pi, the third oldest functioning lighthouse in the world.
But there is more, if you want to discover Mallorca on your golf visit to the island, do not hesitate to contact us and we will organize the most suitable route to your interests so you can get to know our history without missing anything.